Sunday, May 4, 2014

Forgot to Tell Me One Little Thing....

I once dated a guy who was married. He forgot to tell me this tiny detail for about four months. I knew that he had been dating someone before we started hanging out, but assured me they weren't dating anymore.

When later confronted about this, he said that he wasn't lying when he said that. They weren't dating. Ok, no, you're not dating, you're something a whole lot more serious than dating.

From this experience, and a mixed bag of other dating tragedies, I am more than a little wary when it comes to trusting people. I don't know whether I have bad luck or just attract the really special ones out there, or if I just come across as a sucker. All these things are possible.

I joke that I've had to modify my list of wants when it comes to dating. You'd not think I would need this, but #1 on the list is, and will remain, Has No Significant Other.

That story really is all there is to the post, because other aspects of that relationship (and I use that term loosely) probably will become their own blog posts. But since I started typing out my list, I might as well finish it. Who knows, maybe you know someone who fits the bill.


1. Has No Significant Other
2. No apparent meth habit
3. No other drug habit/alcohol problem
4. My level of crazy (bc you can't really expect people to not be crazy, but if you're relatively the same level of crazy then things tend to work out)
5. Has job. This doesn't have to be a six figure salary job. It just has to be something that they enjoy or is a stepping stone to get them to the job they want, and enough money to take care of themselves.
6. Likes dogs. Bc I will choose my pets over you if it comes down to it.
7. Can have an intelligent conversation and go to cultural type things without bitching about being bored.
8. Can also sit around in pajamas watching every episode of Locked Up Abroad while living on cheetos and ice cream and call that a not-bad date.
9. Knows enough about cars to help me figure out what all the lights that keep flashing on my dashboard mean and whether or not it actually is an emergency.
10. Has a decent relationship with their family. As it turns out, the older I get the more important my family is to me, and I want that to be a thing that is also important.
11. Good sense of humor
12. Fiscally responsible (bc I suck at money)


That's the bare bones list. Yes there are other things on the list. Completely subjective, dumb things. But they can be outweighed by things on the list. And I feel like this is a very responsible, adult like list. If you asked me even just ten years ago what my list was, it would be very stupid. Probably something like Money, Abs, Smells Nice (although smelling good is very very very important. But then so is someone who is willing to do the weed eating at my house because I'm irrationally afraid that I'm going to accidentally cut all of my toes off.)

So. I'll just throw that out there and see if anything sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment