Friday, May 16, 2014

How to Woo Me

Here is a list of things that a person could do to win me over. This is not comprehensive and may not apply to every person out there. But. It's the little things, amiright?

1. Pump gas for me. This happened to me recently and completely blew my mind. I offered to drive myself and a gentleman to dinner, bc I'm a grown ass woman, but I had to stop and get gas on the way because the light had been on for three days at that point and it seemed like maybe it might be a good idea. You could have knocked me over with a feather when he got out of the car to pump the gas. I'm pretty sure I even asked "what in the hell are you doing?" because this is not something that has ever happened to me before. But it impressed me very much.

2. Ask me how my day went 1) because you remember that I mentioned I had a presentation/meeting/whatever coming up that could be important and 2) actually listen to my response. At the end of the day I really like my job and the people I work with, so I often talk about it all. Sometimes it's crazy and I need to vent. It's nice to be able talk about it. Even if you don't care, even if you are just faking being interested, it's better than getting a glazed look and not so subtly looking at your phone.

3. It is stereotypical, but seriously one of the nicest things you can do is send someone flowers. This goes for anyone. I love getting flowers and I love sending flowers. I try to send flowering plants more than cut stems bc in theory you can keep them longer.  But sometimes, flowers with the sales tag still from Krogers on them goes a lot further than a fancy dinner or heart shaped jewelry.

4. Never buy heart shaped jewelry. Never. Other jewelry is fine. Ask a friend if you need help.

5. Tolerate my dogs. I know that they are assholes. I live with them. I KNOW. But if I'm on a date and someone says "I'm not a dog person" I pretty much automatically write them off. My dogs are my family, and I'm going to choose them over most people. Even if they do eat my remotes.

6. Find a common interest and do something related to it. Even if that common interest is as simple as loving macaroni and cheese, there are Mac'n'Cheese charity cook-offs that you can attend. That sounds like a top ten perfect date to me.

Well now I'm completely derailed by visions of cheesy pasta, so I'll have to finish this post at a later date and time.

1 comment: