Friday, April 11, 2014

Because Not all Dates are Terrible

I don't want you all to think that every single date I go on is a dud. Just most of them. So here is a story about one that actually went great actually, after figuring out I wasn't going to be murdered in the woods.


I'd been talking to a guy (job, no apparently meth habit) and while I enjoyed talking to him, I just couldn't quite get a read on him. Some people are just like that I guess.

So one night we have a really low key date (which is right up my alley) of watching garbage television and eating mediocre pizza. It really doesn't take much to please me, folks. We talked about an assortment of random get-to-know you things as tends to happen on most dates. I'd mentioned something about how I want to take some road trips this summer and see what our great state has to offer (Worlds Largest Teapot, hello?).

The next day, I was enjoying my lazy Sunday (read: watching a Netflix special about bacon) when the guy textedvme. He told me to get off my ass and put pants on (how did he know???), that he would pick me up in fifteen minutes, that we were "going on an adventure to find my covered bridges." (I'll explain this further later)

Now, growing up in the backwoods, being told I'm going on an adventure is not something that necessarily worries me. However, I feel like I'm (slightly) less naive now, and an adventure to this semi-stranger could mean some sort of meth-induced ritual sacrifice. I flipped a coin and decided to go, only after alerting a friend of my plans and that I would check in periodically.  PEOPLE. phone a friend is key in life.

As we start driving and head off the main road down something that I can legitimately call  a "holler" I begin to second guess my choices. I'm only 30, I've got so much to live for. Plus, there was a Little House on the Prairie marathon coming on later that day, and I really have a thing for that Nellie Olsen's bitchy outlook on life.

Luckily he didn't kill me (You probably figured that one out by now). Instead he took me to see one of the 17 covered bridges left in our state. I had mentioned the previous night during my roadtrip ramblings that I was interested in seeing all of these, but wasn't quite sure where they were located. WHAT? SOMEONE LISTENED TO SOMETHING I HAD TO SAY? This shit is unheard of. That feeling in my stomach? It's butterflies.

So we spent the rest of the afternoon driving to see not one, but TWO covered bridges that are within reasonable driving distance. The first was underwhelming, but the second was very pretty. I had a great day and it was nice that someone had taken the time to find something that I was interested in.

Now if I can just get a date on board with a day of playing skeeball.

No comments:

Post a Comment