Friday, April 11, 2014

Colorblind

This is a serious post. Because I'm pissed off and disheartened.

Today I was talking to a guy and he asked if I would ever date anyone who wasn't white. I said of course I would; the color of someone's skin does not determine whether or not they are a good person.

The response back was awful. Because you see I forget that even though it is 2014, there are still racist people out there.

I was berated for being "anti-white" and "joined the clan that's against their own race." I tried to give this guy a brief history lesson as to what part of the globe all mankind is from, and also about my own heritage which contains Native American blood. To which he only responded that "well but you're mostly white."

I responded that I do not judge by color. But I should have known at this point not to bother. When he told me that once I "get some big black snake moan dick, I'll never go back" to which I replied I don't judge by the color of their bait and tackle either.

When he told me that he's more of a man than some free-ride Ivy League-going, hybrid car driving, soft handed man of color, I said that may be his opinion but if he knows a guy like that could he please pass my phone number along to him.

To me, people are not deemed lovable or unlovable based on the amount of pigment in their skin. A man is not a man because he is Caucasian. To me a man is a man because he knows how to be respectful. Because he works hard every day to better himself. Because he is helpful and virtuous and courteous to others. Because he admits when he has faults and is willing to work on them. None of these factors have anything to do with color, gender, blood type, etc.

This is my belief. I do not expect everyone to share my belief. But when and if I meet someone, they will share this belief. And when and if I have children, they will be taught this way. That skin color does not define a persons worth or ability to love and be loved.

What's my race? My race is love.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment